Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Omen - Oh Man!


It was supposed to give me a good fright and scare me shitless in my pants. Other than one or two jumps out of my seat, I’d have to say The Omen was nothing spectacular. Having seen the original that gave me nightmares for days, this remake simply didn’t quite make the cut. It definitely wasn’t Julia Stiles’ best effort, but then again, not much was required from her boring role as the sick and pained mom. There are only two things which I liked about the movie, which are Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick’s Damien, and Mia Farrow’s psycho nanny.
Movie aside, perhaps thought should be given to the origins of the idea of “anti-Christ” itself. I managed to find loads of articles from people with different ideas on what anti-Christ means, from biblical scholars to writers.
I must admit that I’m not a “wholistically” religious person. But I do believe in God and all the miracles that he has showered upon His children. I believe in the fact that there exists an upper being who watches over us, the One who is the center of all good and the opposite of all evil.
So this idea of the existence of the “anti-Christ” both amuses and worries me. It has exactly the adverse effects of knowing there will always be an epitome of goodness in the world with the existence of God; that one day, evil is coming to get us. I am reminded in flickers of memories of my days as a young child brought up by grandparents who are survivors of WWII, and whose ideas of discipline comes in the form of instilling fear in children. Things like, “if you don’t hold my hand tightly when we’re out, the black monster will come and catch you!”
As a child, I had morbid thoughts that come to mind, partly due to the constant barraging ideas that spill from my grandmother’s mouth in her bid to control us, and partly due to TV. I envisioned that WWIII would start at the height of my life, in my teens when I am young and vulnerable, and I would be reduced to smudging coal on my face to disguise as a boy when I should be dressed in frilly dresses and attending tea parties. Or hanging out in malls.
But all that is nothing; nothing at all compared to imagining what would happen if the world would be taken over by evil. Do we fall slowly into Damien’s trap of lies and deceit, which would render us a step too deep into the mud of evil? Would he invoke his army of Satan worshippers and banish us from our world of liberty? Worse still, would he wipe out the entire human race, so that we will have the inevitable fate of enduring his barbecued haven in eternity? Would he dethrone God from our lives as Savior of our souls?
Man, all I want to do is to be able to walk my dog everyday, have a good cup of tea!

No comments: