Monday, June 05, 2006

Happy Birthday

I’ve been really busy at work lately. Things aren’t going too smoothly. I might seriously consider a change in direction. The problem with the world I guess, is always that nothing is certain.
Joey’s somehow given me a sense of homeliness ever since we brought her home. I began to miss home when I’m out for a whole day, not to even mention outstation trips. It is always a luxury to be able to sit home and enjoy her company. She sometimes gives me that sense of assurance just like you did when I was much younger.
I really hate growing up. It’s so shrouded with un-pleasantries that I sometimes wish would just go away if I cover myself up in a blanket and count to three. Injustice makes tears well up in my eyes, and for things that I have no power to change, I just cry.
From those school years that you used to bring me to school, I wished that I had a bike so I could go to school alone. And now I wish you’d take me to work everyday. For those times you brought me out for meals that I wish were McDonald’s or chicken chop, I now relish in eating cheap Chinese food.
I cannot forget the warmth in your voice and the palm of your hand. You’d bring me to the doctor whenever I was sick, and I would always be greeted by your voice as soon as you return home from work. Feverish or not, I always heard:
“Girl, how are you feeling?”
I heard it again the last time I was sick, and no one brought me to the doctor. I stayed in bed the whole day, and at night as I lay on the couch after taking my medication, I heard you ask.
“Girl, how are you feeling?”
And it was the same warmth in the voice, and the same touch of the hand on my forehead.
It’s been more than 3 years now. I am glad you no longer have to face life’s trying times, and especially mortality. While I used to feel your presence even after you left, I feel it no more, and I’m happy you have left for good, and that life is a bliss now that you are with the Lord.
I will see you again when my time here is due.
Happy birthday Daddy.
PS: I'm sorry about the time I bought you a Mickey Mouse tie for your birthday, and you wore it without knowing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jee kiddo, was emotionally moved when readin this post.. must have been hard on you.. but you're a strong girl. and i know you have moved on.. keep it up.. you're time is not up yet..